Re: [Exim] $domain in ACL's, and multiple RCPT TO's

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Avleen Vig
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] $domain in ACL's, and multiple RCPT TO's
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Avleen Vig wrote:

> Turns out that yes, multiple domain rcpt's can be set in a single
> transaction. This seems a little broken to me, but it is the way it is.

It is the way it is for efficiency (and has been ever since SMTP was
invented). And personally, I don't think it is broken. Consider for
example a mailing list server that sends out its postings to a
smarthost. Some years ago there was a case like this where the
connection was a slow dial-up line. The mailing list host had been
running Another MTA that sends one copy per address; it was taking 9
hours to deliver one posting to a few thousand subscribers. Exim was
installed; it sent a few tens of copies (limited to a few hundred
addresses in each) in a few minutes.