Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP se…

Author: Kevin P. Fleming
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP server
Kevin M. Barrett wrote:

>         Are there any technical, standards based arguments why one should
> not use exchange?    Does it misapply or  just plain break the
> standards?  I need to know that my "personal feelings" are not what is
> making the judgment.

Here's a big reason: Exchange Server generates collateral spam, because
it has no ability to verify recipient addresses at RCPT TO: time. It
accepts all inbound mail for domains it has been told to handle, and
then later generates bounces for local parts that are invalid.

This does not happen because the information isn't there, it just
happens because Microsoft chose to implement it that way and refuses to
change it. Fronting Exchange Server with something like Exim that can do
LDAP or other types of lookups at SMTP time allows you to keep Exchange
Server from ever receiving mail that it won't be able to deliver.