Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP se…

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [Exim] Callout problems and callout with another address
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP server
On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 06:14:28AM -0500, Christopher Baker wrote:
> It also seems as though Microsoft purporsely made any connectivity with
> a Novell box difficult. I installed a Netware client on the server a few
> months ago and then removed it because the server was even more unstable
> without it.

Oh, definitely. The Microsoft Client for Netware available for Windows
2000 and up is much worse than the one available for earlier versions of
windows. It hammers Netware servers and sends their resource usage up
to 90% or more, even if only one user is accessing them. Netware had a
lot of trouble trying to make their own client stable.

> Windows Backup is quite unreliable. And if you use any Microsoft product,
> you are more likely to be raided by the license gestap even if you are
> totally innocent.
>
> SuSE has recently come out with Open Exchange. It looks like it has
> some of the pricing structure that Microsoft has, however.
>
> http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/openexchange/index.html
>
> The main reason I went with Exchange at our place is that Microsoft
> gives great deals to non-profits that made it significantly cheaper to
> buy.

If you're considering commercial software, then a good alternative to
Exchange is Communigate Pro. It offers much better support for Internet
standards, stores mail in a sensible format, runs on a wide range of
OSen (Most free and commercial *nices including OSX, plus Win32) and
offers Outlook-compatible groupware features via a MAPI connector (the
same groupware features are also available through a webmail interface
that works with any recent browser, so you're not shutting out your
non-Windows users). Best IMAP support of any commercial product I've
seen.

http://www.stalker.com/cpro/default.html

--
Bruce