RE: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP se…

Author: Dickenson, Steven
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] OT: Need some feed back on Exchange as an SMTP server
Bruce Richardson wrote:
> With a mailstore that stores mail folders internally as directories or
> text files, restoration of individual messages or folders is much
> easier than with the pseudo-databases of Exchange or GroupWise.
> Here's a fairly common example: a user deleted a folder but doesn't
> know when they did it. Now, I can look through the backup logs and
> tell them exactly when they did it and give them back the version
> from the night before they deleted it, all within 30 minutes. A
> typical Exchange admin will either say "tough" or have to go back to
> a time when they think it was there and restore the entire postoffice
> from backup. If they were wrong, they have to pick another date and
> try again.

Wow, lots of FUD on this topic regarding Exchange.

Anyway, I can do the same thing with Exchange in two ways.

1) Brick-level backups, where individual mailboxes are backed up, and can be
easily restored. These are generally frowned upon because of time and
storage requirements. Most admins prefer options 2...

2) Regular full backups nightly of the database stores with 30 day deleted
item retention and deleted mailbox retention (new for Exchange 2003 I
believe).

Steven
---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson@???>