RE: [Exim] 4.31 pre-release snapshot

Author: Eli
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] 4.31 pre-release snapshot
Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> I don't know if this is a wishlist item, or a 'hey, can anyone suggest
> a better way to...' so here goes
>
> Looking at the changelog, I think of the pain I have comparing
> src/EDITME to the last Local/Makefile every time I update exim. I
> usually do it by hand, referring to the main changelog document.
>
> I'm wondering if there's any better way to do that AND, I'm wondering
> what the usefulness of having a seperate changelog for the src/EDITME
> document -- something that just lists the newly added or removed info
> for that version. That way one could just migrate the Local/Makefile
> from the functional/installed previous release and copy/delete the
> appropriate lines. Am I crazy thinking that would be good?

I'll second that idea - I know some will say just do a diff here or there
and you should see the changes - and I do. However sometimes a hop from one
version to the next introduces a few new things or some lines of text get
reworded or shuffled around, and that can sometimes upset diff to resync
itself. Or, you just get this huge list of diffs but the only real diff is
the specification of some custom setting (like the exim user, or what have
you) that really didn't change at all but still shows up.

Honestly, it would be really nice to have a configure script that could be
run so that we don't have to keep our old Makefiles around in the first
place, but I don't put up a fuss with how it is right now :) A little
changelog file for new/changed things specifically in the Makefile would be
cool though - we could easily scan the default Makefile for those new
things, see what they do and add them to our own reducing the time spent on
checking over our Makefiles.

I'm sure a few will argue that there's no reason to fuss over something like
this since it only adds a few minutes to your compile time - but hey, when
you have tons of work to do every single day, saving 10-20 minutes is a big
thing.

Eli.