Re: [Exim] 4.31 pre-release snapshot

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] 4.31 pre-release snapshot
Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> I don't know if this is a wishlist item, or a 'hey, can anyone suggest a
> better way to...' so here goes
>
> Looking at the changelog, I think of the pain I have comparing
> src/EDITME to the last Local/Makefile every time I update exim. I
> usually do it by hand, referring to the main changelog document.
> I'm wondering if there's any better way to do that AND, I'm wondering
> what the usefulness of having a seperate changelog for the src/EDITME
> document -- something that just lists the newly added or removed info
> for that version. That way one could just migrate the Local/Makefile
> from the functional/installed previous release and copy/delete the
> appropriate lines. Am I crazy thinking that would be good?

For what is it worth....

I don't think this is 'better' than any other way, but every new version
when I go to upgrade I do two things 'FIRST', one, do a diff on the newest
Makefile and my old Makefile (local ones of cource) and see what comes up,
Then I match any settings, look at anything new, and then I run one compile
on the 'new' Makefile and see if there are any build problems. THEN, I go
back through everyting with a 'fine toothe comb' make any changes needed,
clean, recompile and start testing. I would do this anyway, even with
change logs (although I do read those things), but that is just me.

--

--EAL--