[Exim] Earliest point for using acl variables?

Author: John Horne
To: Exim usersEximUsersList
Subject: [Exim] Earliest point for using acl variables?
Hello,

Using exim 4.30 I tried creating an 'acl_smtp_connect' with a warn
statement to set some variables. It seemed to work (by running exim with
the -d+acl+expand option) but then later conditions using the variables
failed. I suspect that they had been reset by exim since all my
configure file does is initially set them (at connect time) and then
test them (in the local_scan program and the routers).

The ACL I had was:
  acl_connect:
    warn    set acl_m1 = 0
            set acl_m4 = 1

Debugging shows:

  25286 calling local_scan(); timeout=300
  25286 expanding: $acl_m4
  25286    result:
                   ^^^
It looks like the variable has been reset (but not by me).

If I move the 'set' further down into the ACL for RCPT then it works
fine (that is, my later checks work correctly).

So the question is when do the acl variables get set (to the null
string) by exim?

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839