Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization erro…

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: Edgar Lovecraft
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization error,
[Apologies for getting off-topic - this no longer has anything to do
with Exim]

On Mar 15, 2004, at 23:04, Edgar Lovecraft wrote:
> And you just made my point about generalizing DUL accounts of any kind,
> highspeed or not. All ISP's should block port 25 traffic unless you
> are
> paying for a business class service, in which, you should not be on a
> dynamic type of IP, but have some statics, that can be properly mapped
> through DNS.

You are trolling, right?

Assuming that you are serious:
- Since when did the term "business class service" refer to an Internet
standard? Since when is it anyone but the customer and his/her ISP's
business how much they pay to get SMTP connectivity?

Try to order a "business class service" from Comcast, USA's largest
broadband provider. (Hint: It is not offered).

What does "business class service" mean in a country like China?
Pay off your local party official to get SMTP connectivity?

- What does "block port 25 traffic" mean?  Inbound or outbound?
   * If you mean inbound: Why?
     Keep in mind that nearly all spam zombies and other infected
machines
     have been compromised by other means (HTTP, NetBIOS/CIFS...), not
via
     port 25.

   * If you mean outbound: What about people (such as myself) that are
     not using their ISP's MTAs to relay mail?  As you know, these are
     often less than reliable, and quite beyond your control in terms of
     RBL listings etc.  (For a while, the main outbound MTA's of the
USA's
     largest ISP, Comcast, was listed in SPEWS).

     Before you fall into the same trap as so many other short-sighted
     people before you:  Not using your ISP's MTA does not neccessarily
     mean that you send mail directly from your own box.  In fact, I am
     doing exactly what you suggest - I currently pay for a "business
     class service" (a dedicated server) from an independent hosting
     provider, and relay my mail through there.

     That's sort of beside the point, though, unless you also (in staying
     true to Stalin [*]) think that the ISP that delivers connectivity to
     your home should be the only one allowed to offer you "business
class
     service".

Please leave the decision as to whether to accept mails directly from
dynamic IPs to the recipient of the mail. There are tools (RBLs)
available to help with this.

> Even if you are just hosting your churces (or any other
> non/not-for-profit

<Cheap shot>
That would explain the black-and-white world view we see espoused.
</Cheap shot>