Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization erro…

Author: Walt Reed
To: Edgar Lovecraft
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization error,
On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:04:26AM -0600, Edgar Lovecraft said:
> And you just made my point about generalizing DUL accounts of any kind,
> highspeed or not. All ISP's should block port 25 traffic unless you are
> paying for a business class service, in which, you should not be on a
> dynamic type of IP, but have some statics, that can be properly mapped
> through DNS. Even if you are just hosting your churces (or any other
> non/not-for-profit organization) you are breaking the user agreement for
> every home based/non business class users agreement I have read.

FYI, there are quite a few providers that allow home servers
(non-commercial) in their TOS. Even Verizon allows exceptions to this
that they have vocalized in the private newsgroups. Many providers never
enforce this part of the TOS unless you start using excess bandwidth.

Before I upgraded to business DSL (other reasons) I was forced to use a
third party email relay because my ISP's mail servers SUCK - being down,
rejecting mail, lost mail, etc. Since my web hosting provider ONLY ran
SMTP on port 25 and wouldn't provide an alternate, I would have been
screwed. It forces people to jump through hoops, change providers, etc
JUST TO SEND EMAIL.

Now, I understand your feelings completely. 99% of my spam comes from
dynamic addresses. If every ISP was up to speed, honest, reliable,
provided good service, etc. it would be a no-brainer, but that's just
not the case today. In MANY areas, people don't have a large choice of
providers. In my area for example, I have Verizon or Adelphia - a
provider that sucks or a provider that REALLY REALLY sucks.

The bottom line is that while it's a easy answer, it's also a
simplistic answer that has issues that need to be addressed.