Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization erro…

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization error,
Tor Slettnes wrote:

> [Apologies for getting off-topic - this no longer has anything to do
> with Exim]
>

> On Mar 15, 2004, at 23:04, Edgar Lovecraft wrote:
>
> > And you just made my point about generalizing DUL accounts of any
> > kind, highspeed or not. All ISP's should block port 25 traffic unless
> > you are paying for a business class service, in which, you should
> > not be on a dynamic type of IP, but have some statics, that can be
> > properly mapped through DNS.
>
> You are trolling, right?

Only partly...
So I will sum up ;)
I really do not care if people send email form home or not, however, from
an 'anti-spam/anti-worm' type of stance, cutting out 'the noise' is very
helpfull. As to 'how' machines get compromised, it does not matter how,
in this case, it just matters what they are doing as a result (sending
unwanted/unneeded traffic over tcp port 25). As to you, I do not think I
have ever seen you complain that your email was not recieved elsewhere
because you were sending out from a dynamic IP, that is what started my
rant on this any way. Once every week or two someone says to the list,
'Why should I be blocked just because I am on DUL/Broadband connection?',
or something very near to it. It is not uncommon to see those same posters
ask 'How do I stop all the spam?'... It would just be easier to say, nope,
sorry, can do that if your IP address is always dynamic, send to a
'proper (loose term there)' SMTP gateway so that we can help make everyones
life just a touch easier. Now what would be really, really nice, is if ALL
ISP's publicly listed their dynamic IP ranges, and then Offered to help
set up proper DNS for any customer that has static IP's and wants to run an
MTA. But that would require 'a more perfect world' now wouldn't it :)
As it stands, where is the fault in my thinking/statement that if you want
your email to be accepted without question then send from hosts that are
not questioned when it comes to conntent that they allow to be sent.

I am going to leave the rest of your post , but I am going to pull the last
couple of lines up here and ask what the hell is this about???

> > Even if you are just hosting your churces (or any other
> > non/not-for-profit
>                                      ^^^^^^ [sic]

How is this a cheap shot, He was the one who said that He hosted his
churces email on his home account. Would you prefer I have said
'your churches (or any one elses...)???

> <Cheap shot>
> That would explain the black-and-white world view we see espoused.
> </Cheap shot>

Even if you think I brought up church, what does that have to do with
'explain the black-and-white world view we see espoused'?? isn't your
statement rather black-and-white???

--

> Assuming that you are serious:
> - Since when did the term "business class service" refer to an
> Internet standard? Since when is it anyone but the customer and
> his/her ISP's business how much they pay to get SMTP connectivity?
>
> Try to order a "business class service" from Comcast, USA's
> largest broadband provider. (Hint: It is not offered).
>
> What does "business class service" mean in a country like China?
> Pay off your local party official to get SMTP connectivity?
>
> - What does "block port 25 traffic" mean? Inbound or outbound?
> * If you mean inbound: Why?
> Keep in mind that nearly all spam zombies and other infected
> machines have been compromised by other means (HTTP, NetBIOS/CIFS...),
> not via port 25.
>
> * If you mean outbound: What about people (such as myself) that
> are not using their ISP's MTAs to relay mail? As you know, these
> are often less than reliable, and quite beyond your control in
> terms of RBL listings etc. (For a while, the main outbound MTA's
> of the USA's largest ISP, Comcast, was listed in SPEWS).
>
> Before you fall into the same trap as so many other short-sighted
> people before you: Not using your ISP's MTA does not neccessarily
> mean that you send mail directly from your own box.
> In fact, I am doing exactly what you suggest - I currently pay for
> a "business class service" (a dedicated server) from an independent
> hosting provider, and relay my mail through there.
>
> That's sort of beside the point, though, unless you also (in staying
> true to Stalin [*]) think that the ISP that delivers connectivity to
> your home should be the only one allowed to offer you "business class
> service".
>

> Please leave the decision as to whether to accept mails directly from
> dynamic IPs to the recipient of the mail. There are tools (RBLs)
> available to help with this.

..[snip (look at the top)]...

--EAL--