Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization erro…

Author: Walt Reed
To: Edgar Lovecraft
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization error,
On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:16:50AM -0600, Edgar Lovecraft said:
> Walt Reed wrote:
> > Now, I understand your feelings completely. 99% of my spam comes from
> > dynamic addresses. If every ISP was up to speed, honest, reliable,
> > provided good service, etc. it would be a no-brainer, but that's just
> > not the case today. In MANY areas, people don't have a large choice of
> > providers. In my area for example, I have Verizon or Adelphia - a
> > provider that sucks or a provider that REALLY REALLY sucks.
> >
> Now here is the question, are you trying to run a business domain (email
> webserver, etc.) from your home? or from a 'home type of internet access'?

No, more along the lines of personal vanity domains, sometimes for
friends, sometimes for little non-profit groups such as a little-league
baseball team, etc. Not everyone is running a business out of their
homes. Not everyone needs 24x7. Sometimes being down for a day is OK.

I snipped your essay on "business vs residential" because in the
end, it's a purely marketing / legal distinction, not a technical one.

Suggesting T1 / Frame circuits for this kind of thing is just silly.

All I'm saying is that wholesale blocking of port 25 has issues, which
it does. There will ALWAYS be ways around it in anycase, although it
makes life difficult for the honest people. Now you don't have to worry
about your own reliability, you have to worry about the reliability of
someone elses mail servers in the middle.