Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization erro…

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: stmp protocol violation, synchronization error,
Walt Reed wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:04:26AM -0600, Edgar Lovecraft said:
> > And you just made my point about generalizing DUL accounts of any kind,
> > highspeed or not. All ISP's should block port 25 traffic unless you
> > are paying for a business class service, in which, you should not be on
> > a dynamic type of IP, but have some statics, that can be properly
> > mapped through DNS. Even if you are just hosting your churces (or any
> > other non/not-for-profit organization) you are breaking the user
> > agreement for every home based/non business class users agreement I
> > have read.
>
> FYI, there are quite a few providers that allow home servers
> (non-commercial) in their TOS. Even Verizon allows exceptions to this

As I said above, that I have read, but good for them, try and get those
customers that want such a thing at home (reliable or not). This is the
Free market at work!

> that they have vocalized in the private newsgroups. Many providers never
> enforce this part of the TOS unless you start using excess bandwidth.

That is true, but that does not mean that you are not violating the TOS.

> Before I upgraded to business DSL (other reasons) I was forced to use a
> third party email relay because my ISP's mail servers SUCK - being down,
> rejecting mail, lost mail, etc. Since my web hosting provider ONLY ran
> SMTP on port 25 and wouldn't provide an alternate, I would have been
> screwed. It forces people to jump through hoops, change providers, etc
> JUST TO SEND EMAIL.

As you siad, your web hosting provider (which is/was different from your
home Internet access provider it sounds) would not work with you, that is
bad business. And why were your ISP's mail servers so bad? Did you have
the same problems when using the email addresses they provided as well,
when accessing/sending according to their setup documents?

> Now, I understand your feelings completely. 99% of my spam comes from
> dynamic addresses. If every ISP was up to speed, honest, reliable,
> provided good service, etc. it would be a no-brainer, but that's just
> not the case today. In MANY areas, people don't have a large choice of
> providers. In my area for example, I have Verizon or Adelphia - a
> provider that sucks or a provider that REALLY REALLY sucks.

Now here is the question, are you trying to run a business domain (email
webserver, etc.) from your home? or from a 'home type of internet access'?
If so, then as rude as it sounds, deal with the problems. If you are
wanting to have a business that does have reliable access for both email
and webhosting, there are thousands of providers just ready to do this
for you, and do so reliably, you just might not be the one to run the
servers. If you insist on running your own boxes, then that is why
providers have business class DSL/Cable, and (at least in the US) no
matter how far in BFE you may be, you can always purchase a frame-relay
circut (in the US, this MUST be provided when asked for, even if the Phone
company has to upgrade the equipment to do so). Some of these options are
cheaper than others, but there are options, and plenty of them out there.

--
It is not just an easy answer, it is also an easy solution to a part of the
problem. But then again, I would never expect to have a relaible or

Basically I feel that trying to host anything that 'Has To Be Up 24/7' on
your Yahoo/DSL/Cox/Verizon/whoever ISP account is not going to work because
that is not the service that is being purchased, that is why the business
class connections (frame-relay/ATM/DSL/whatever) are more expensive, and do
have different TOS agreements for both you and your provider.

Now if I am just 'playing around' because I found out I could run my own
webserver on my computer at home, and then decided to add email to it, and
then said cool, I can use the dynamicDNS hosts for easy name access, I
should not expect that I am going to be able to have 24/7 reliability, and
just because my TOS may allow me to run such things at home, that does not
mean that my TOS says they will make it easy, cheap, or reliable.
--EAL--