Re: [Exim] How do I move spam around?!

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: Paul Furness
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How do I move spam around?!
Sorry, I can't read. I missed the part where you say you did _not_ want
to freeze the message:

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 09:20, Tor Slettnes wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2004, at 08:58, Paul Furness wrote:
> > How can I achieve this? I have tried messing about with system filters,
> > but I don't want to freeze the message nor do I want to bounce it, nor
> > do I want to add it to a spool file. Ideally I want to put it into a
> > separate mail queue that doesn't get flushed automatically.

In any case, your solution will still depend on which mechanism you use
to invoke SA.

With 'SA-Exim', you have the option of rejecting mail while at the same
time saving them into a 'Maildir' folder
(/var/spool/sa-exim/SA{permreject,tempreject,teergrube}...). At this
point, you can browse through the mail using a command-line client like
'mutt':
# mutt -f /var/spool/sa-exim/SApermreject/

(From there, you can pipe legit mails to your delivery program (e.g.
'cyrdeliver' using the '|' key, and/or set up Mutt macros for more
specialized piping).

In a more general case, you can set up a router (perhaps using the
'redirect' driver) prior to your 'local_user' router, with a condition
similar to:
condition = ${if def:h_X-Spam-Warning: {yes}{no}}

(provided your mails contain the header X-Spam-Warning: if and only if
the message is spam).

Another method is to install default mail filters (exim filter, sieve
filter, procmail filter) for each user, which would separate spam into a
separate mailbox. This might be preferable, because:
- each user could then tune their own criteria
- you would not be playing the role of "god" by looking through their
(potentially mislabeled-as-spam, potentially sensitive) mail.