Re: [Exim-dev] The future maintenance and development of Exi…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Nico Erfurth
To: Yann Golanski
CC: exim-dev
Betreff: Re: [Exim-dev] The future maintenance and development of Exim
Yann Golanski wrote:

> Personally, I would like to see Exim 3 being frozen and unsupported. I
> don't think that two years after Exim 4 came out this is unreasonable.

Well, it's already dead, MOST exim3-users are debian-users who fear to
update their system, at least that's what I can tell from reading the list.

But some day there will be an exim5, and you can't just stop to support
exim4 then. For a period of time two lines of development need to be
supported. I don't think there will be such a big overhaul as from exim3
to exim4, but a new major release is a good point to introduce new and
maybe incompatible features.

So when the decision is made to create a new major, there should be a
new branch for the current tree, for maintaining it further.

>>3. One of my main concerns is that the documentation will get worse.
>
> Hear hear. We need to do make sure it does not get any worst and even
> gets better.

Hope so. :)

>>Finally, I think there should always be a "Head of Development", someone
>>who has the last word on new features and bigger changes. And who also
>>has a look on how other developers work, especially when it comes to
>>documentation and code-comments. I would really like to see the high
>>standards that exim has in this area will be kept in the future.
>
> Yeah, I think that's a good idea.

Maybe someone who will be elected to do the job (I'll give my vote for
Philip here and now ;)) or someone like the pumpking in perls development.

Nico