Re: [Exim-dev] The future maintenance and development of Exi…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Yann Golanski
To: Nico Erfurth
CC: exim-dev
Betreff: Re: [Exim-dev] The future maintenance and development of Exim
Quoth Nico Erfurth on Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 17:04:52 +0100
> But some day there will be an exim5, and you can't just stop to support
> exim4 then. For a period of time two lines of development need to be
> supported. I don't think there will be such a big overhaul as from exim3
> to exim4, but a new major release is a good point to introduce new and
> maybe incompatible features.

I didn't explain myself clearly enough. Sorry. I am all for not
discontinuing branches as soon as a new one comes out. Two years is a
long time in the computer industry and I don't think that a freeze of
the software is unreasonable.

Are there any new features added to Exim3 now a days? Or is the branch
just a security updates for now? Maybe when exim5 comes out, exim3 can
be relegated to the cold dark corners of the museum and join such fun
releases as 2 and 1! *grin*

> Maybe someone who will be elected to do the job (I'll give my vote for
> Philip here and now ;))

Snap.

--
yann@???                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   009D 7287 C4A7 FD4F 1680  06E4 F751 7006 9DE2 6318