Re: [Exim-dev] The future maintenance and development of Exi…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Yann Golanski
To: Nico Erfurth
CC: exim-dev
Betreff: Re: [Exim-dev] The future maintenance and development of Exim
Quoth Nico Erfurth on Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 14:27:21 +0100
> 1.1 I've to agree with Tony, a single line development would be the best
> for exim. But I don't think there should be a seperate branch for every
> release, but only for cases like exim3 and exim4, where most of the
> codebase changes. So both lines can be maintained for some time.

Personally, I would like to see Exim 3 being frozen and unsupported. I
don't think that two years after Exim 4 came out this is unreasonable.

> 3. One of my main concerns is that the documentation will get worse.

Hear hear. We need to do make sure it does not get any worst and even
gets better.

> For the releases, there should be a release-schedule, or something like
> that, maybe a new 4.x0 release every 3 months. From time to time to time
> there should be releases in between, when something needs urgent fixing,
> or many minor-fixes have be commited.

I'd rather see a release when a release is needed rather than a "three
releases a year" type thing.

> 6. Personaly I like the coding standards exim currently uses, it's not
> standard, but quite easy to read, once you get a grip on it.

We could even code our own indent set of options so you can use that.
It's easily done.

> Finally, I think there should always be a "Head of Development", someone
> who has the last word on new features and bigger changes. And who also
> has a look on how other developers work, especially when it comes to
> documentation and code-comments. I would really like to see the high
> standards that exim has in this area will be kept in the future.

Yeah, I think that's a good idea.

--
yann@???                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   009D 7287 C4A7 FD4F 1680  06E4 F751 7006 9DE2 6318