Re: [Exim] Re: Exiscan and Clam AntiVirus

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Sheldon Hearn
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Exiscan and Clam AntiVirus
Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> In that case, turning clamd's ScanMail off isn't such a hot idea, and
> I'll put forward the suggestion I held back on in doubt: use daemontools
> to ensure that clamd stays up.

For further clarification: An AV scanner's mail unpacking logic must
emulate the very liberal behaviour of MS mail clients to be effective.
This is very hard. As an alternative, you can reject non-RFC compatible
mailpacks, which I tried to make possible with the MIME error checks.
But there is no RFC for either UUENCODE or TNEF.

The AV companies scanner implementations are usually quite good at
emulating MS MimeOLE, so I'm tempted to leave that job to them.

regards,

/tom