Re: [Exim] Maildirsize files: opinions sought

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Maildirsize files: opinions sought
> 1. It specifies that, when adding up the sizes of files to compute the
> size of a mailbox, only the contents of the "new" and "cur" directories
> should be counted, and *not* the "tmp" directory.

(non-shell) users won't be able to delete things that get (accidently -
since there should be nothing permanently) put in tmp. The MTA/MUA/imap
ought to clean tmp up I think.

> 2. It also specifies that the contents of a maildirfolder called "Trash"
> should not be counted.

Heh - probably to cope with the person who deletes all their mail
without realising many imap servers will have left it in Trash at least
until they end the imap session.

> The existing code in Exim (when maildir_use_size_file is not set) just
> adds up the sizes of all the files. It seems to me that the same thing
> should happen when maildir_use_size_file *is* set.
>
> But maybe some of you disagree? As we don't use maildir round here, I
> don't have any actual experience to go on.

I have no strong feelings either way.
Anyone want to actually check the code in courier and other
implementations that honour maildirsize

Alternatively you could have a list of regexps of directories that are
*not* counted
maildirsizeignore = ^.*/tmp$ : ^.*/.Trash$

    Nigel.