RE: [Exim] Maildirsize files: opinions sought

Author: Dennis Skinner
To: eli-list
CC: 'Exim-users'
Subject: RE: [Exim] Maildirsize files: opinions sought
On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 02:35, Eli wrote:
> They even went in and
> added some feature to auto purge the Trash folder after x days or whatever.
> I wouldn't want to imagine the number of calls/emails my clients would send
> when they find out a message they wanted trashed but saved got nuked.

That's just silly. When was the last time you put an item you wanted to
save in your kitchen trash at home? Do you get mad at the garbage men
when they take it away? Trash is just that, trash. If you make it a
policy that items in Trash get deleted after Xdays, they won't
complain. Currently, we use 14days. No complaints yet.

In the several years that I have been providing support to various
companies (all of which have had such policies), I have only heard
complaints about autodeletion of trash maybe 2 times. I make the same
kitchen trash analogy (and at this point, they usually feel kinda dumb
for complaining) and suggest that if, they really wanted to save those
items, put them in a "Saved" or archive them to monthly folders or even
use a "Pre-Trash" folder.

Immediate deletion or deletion upon logout is probably a bit too much,
but 7, 10, or 14 days is plenty of time to realize an error. The Trash
folder is a convenience incase you make a mistake, it is not for
storage.

--
Dennis Skinner
Systems Administrator