Re: [Exim] Fail to manualroute on defer

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: bryan_heitman, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Fail to manualroute on defer
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Bryan Heitman wrote:
> > As I understand fallback_hosts it is basically a host that mail is
> > delivered to assuming a MX lookup fails and that no available hosts are
> > available for delivery on the domain.
>
> Yup - quite a lot like what the FallbackMXhost option (confFALLBACK_MX)
> does in sendmail.

No, sorry, it isn't like that; fallback_hosts is not something that is
used when an MX lookup fails. If you want to cover that case, you can
insert another router after the dnslookup router to deal with that case
(the dnslookup router declines; make sure you don't have no_more set on
it).

fallback_hosts are used when a delivery fails; that is, when all the
hosts are uncontactable, or give temporary errors, or whatever.
Something that would normally cause a defer.