RE: [Exim] PHP Form to send emails with Exim

Author: Dan Muey
To: Steve Thomas, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] PHP Form to send emails with Exim
> This is going OT, but I had to put in my two cents...
>
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:35:51PM -0600, Dan Muey is rumored
> to have said:
> >
> > Perl has many mail features, and is way easier to get
> working than to
> > figure out how to get PHP to do anything. What I'd do if I
> were you is
> > simply use a module that does an SMTP session with
> localhost, that way
> > there's no Exim config to do.
>
> Perl is easier than PHP?! I find PHP to be infinately easier
> to understand and use than perl. I was using perl for years
> before messing around with PHP and found the transition VERY easy.
>

> > Because PHP sucks!!!
>
> I disagree - Most web-based solutions are easier in PHP. Perl

No they're not. They look nice because PHP folks use CSS in
the output more, that's the extent.

> was built for processing text, something it's very good at,
> but if you want to do any kind of web-related work, PHP,
> while less mature, is usually better suited for the task.
> Perl will do it, but not as easily in most cases. I still use

Better, and faster (via mod_perl)

> perl in a lot of places every day - the web isn't one of them.

Too bad, you're missing out. Stupid Matt's script archive gave
Perl a negative light in peoples' eyes because of its bad style
and general retartdedness.

PHP is better in the sense that PHP developers use CCS to make the
output look nice, which of course has nothing to do with PHP. No flames intended,
its just as a network admin our biggest issues are with getting PHP
to do what our customers want (not .php file wise but PHP itself wise)
second only to getting Microsfot stuff to wqork right.

So it may be *easy* to use, basically because of ignorance but it's a
bloaty sucker that causes problems.

Ok, I'm done ranting, do whatever you want :)