Re: [Exim] exim non-bug, does it need fixing?

Author: Peter D. Gray
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim non-bug, does it need fixing?
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:26:48PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Peter D. Gray wrote:
>
> Are you sure that *all* MUAs do this? I haven't got any MUAs installed
> that operate in this way, that is, do not use SMTP for local submission
> and don't set -oi. (I tried "mailx" on Solaris, but I cannot be sure it
> did not set -oi or -i, though neither of these strings is in the
> binary. Pine uses local SMTP transmission.)

Most MUA's use -oi so there is no problem.

> > So the question is, should exim do what sendmail does
> > or what it says it does?
>
> Anybody else have information or views on this? Any data about other MUA
> behaviour? Other MTA behaviour? I can't believe this is too urgent,
> since it's been this way since Exim was first implemented.

After thinking about this for a day, I have reached the conclusion
that exim should probably keep doing what it is doing, that is
doing what sendmail says it does rather than what it does.
I think the MUA should be fixed and I will do that. It was just
never tested with anything other than sendmail. So maybe just a note
in the docs?

Regards,
pdg

--

See mail headers for contact information.