Re: [Exim] exim non-bug, does it need fixing?

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim non-bug, does it need fixing?
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:26:48PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Peter D. Gray wrote:
> > With sendmail, -io means "IgnoreDots" and the docs say
> > "The IgnoreDots option tells sendmail to treat any line
> > that contains only a single period as ordinary text, not
> > as an EOF indicator." (page 1005, 3rd edition).
> >
> > However, that is not what sendmail actually does.

> Why am I not surprised to read that? :-)

> > What it does do is control whether sendmail treats leading dots as per
> > RFC821. If set, dots are left alone, but the default behaviour is to
> > convert .. to . if at the beginning of line.

> Sigh. What do other MTAs do? I've recently been sent the Postfix book,
> but I can't find a reference to this in it. The old smail 3.1.29
> documentation I have says

[...]

Postfix 2.0.18 behaves identical to exim, without -oi anything after
'\n.\n' is ignored.

ssmtp 2.60.4: buggy. does not do -oi although it claims to.

courier-mta 0.42.2-11: I cannot get to work without reading the docs
;-)

sendmail 8.12.11.Final-1: Seems to behave identical to exim:
printf 'sendmailfoo\n.\nblah\n..\n' | sendmail some@where
results in a message just containing sendmailfoo, with -oi in one
consisting of
| sendmailfoo
| .
| blah