Re: [Exim] how to check remote recipient

Author: Benjamin Ritcey
To: Ryan Tracey
CC: 'exim-users'
Subject: Re: [Exim] how to check remote recipient
On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 11:20, Ryan Tracey wrote:
> Hi
>
> > You can use LDAP to see if the address is valid. See
> > http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/C043.txt, especially the
> > 'exchangeothermailboxlookup' and 'exchangemaillookup' sections.
> >
> > I started with this setup and it works fine (I've switched to generating
> > a flat-file every hour or so, so I don't have to rely on the Exchange
> > server being up).
>
> Using LDAP works for me. Although, I too would like to use a regularly
> generated flat file in a router above the exchange/ldap routers in the
> following way:
>
> rtr_exchange_list:
>     local_parts = /path/to/list

> rtr_exchange_ldap:
>     condition = "${lookup ldap ....etc}"

> Where I am hitting a problem is in generating the list of local_parts.
> Ideally, I would like to send $local_part to a script that takes it as
> input and updates the text file if $local_part is not already in the
> text file. Something like:
>
>     command = /path/to/script $local_part

<deletia>

I dunno, it sounds a bit over-complicated to me - why not just dump the
addresses via cron every X hours/minutes/whatever?

I can see what you're going for - basically a flat-file acting as a
cache for LDAP lookkups - but I think you'd still end up potentially
hanging while waiting for Exchange to respond (which is what just using
the flat-file avoids - the process that updates the file might hang, but
the last known good file is still there).

The other issue is how would you deal with deleted addresses? Just kill
the cache every once in awhile and let it rebuild?

-b