Re: [Exim] how to check remote recipient

Author: Ryan Tracey
To: 'exim-users'
CC: Benjamin Ritcey
Subject: Re: [Exim] how to check remote recipient
Hi

Thank you for the suggestions.

>>>You can use LDAP to see if the address is valid. See
>>>http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/C043.txt, especially the
>>>'exchangeothermailboxlookup' and 'exchangemaillookup' sections.
>>>
>>Where I am hitting a problem is in generating the list of local_parts.
>>Ideally, I would like to send $local_part to a script that takes it as
>>input and updates the text file if $local_part is not already in the
>>text file. Something like:

> I dunno, it sounds a bit over-complicated to me

Yes. In trying to set this up I have found out exactly how much I have
yet to learn about Exim4. Half-time score:

Exim: 1
Me: 0

> - why not just dump the
> addresses via cron every X hours/minutes/whatever?

Like the following postfix examples?:

http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/mailrelay/
http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/postfix-exchange-users.html

> I can see what you're going for - basically a flat-file acting as a
> cache for LDAP lookkups - but I think you'd still end up potentially
> hanging while waiting for Exchange to respond (which is what just using
> the flat-file avoids - the process that updates the file might hang, but
> the last known good file is still there).

I wonder if there any way to cause the ldap style router to timeout
fairly quickly?

> The other issue is how would you deal with deleted addresses? Just kill
> the cache every once in awhile and let it rebuild?

That's what I was aiming for.

Thanks again for the comments. I have some food for thought and a day or
two to chew before I have to cut over from the olde Exim 3 box to the
Exim 4 + exiscan server.

Cheers,
Ryan

--