Re: [Exim] how to check remote recipient

Author: Benjamin Ritcey
To: Ryan Tracey
CC: 'exim-users'
Subject: Re: [Exim] how to check remote recipient
On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 04:31, Ryan Tracey wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thank you for the suggestions.

> >>Where I am hitting a problem is in generating the list of local_parts.
> >>Ideally, I would like to send $local_part to a script that takes it as
> >>input and updates the text file if $local_part is not already in the
> >>text file. Something like:
>
> > I dunno, it sounds a bit over-complicated to me
>
> Yes. In trying to set this up I have found out exactly how much I have
> yet to learn about Exim4. Half-time score:
>
> Exim: 1
> Me: 0
>
> > - why not just dump the
> > addresses via cron every X hours/minutes/whatever?
>
> Like the following postfix examples?:
>
> http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/mailrelay/
> http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/postfix-exchange-users.html

Similar, but I generate the files on the mailservers themselves (blech,
VBS).

> > I can see what you're going for - basically a flat-file acting as a
> > cache for LDAP lookkups - but I think you'd still end up potentially
> > hanging while waiting for Exchange to respond (which is what just using
> > the flat-file avoids - the process that updates the file might hang, but
> > the last known good file is still there).
>
> I wonder if there any way to cause the ldap style router to timeout
> fairly quickly?

Looks it -
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_9.html#SECT9.14

- CONNECT set a connection timeout
- TIME set the maximum waiting time for a query

> > The other issue is how would you deal with deleted addresses? Just kill
> > the cache every once in awhile and let it rebuild?
>
> That's what I was aiming for.
>
> Thanks again for the comments. I have some food for thought and a day or
> two to chew before I have to cut over from the olde Exim 3 box to the
> Exim 4 + exiscan server.

Let me know if you'd like the scripts I've got - credit where credit is
due: mine setup is just a hacked up version of work done by Patrick
Starrenburg (who was kind enough to send me doc on his setup).

> Cheers,
> Ryan

-b