Re: [Exim] how to check remote recipient

Author: Ryan Tracey
To: Benjamin Ritcey
CC: 'exim-users'
Subject: Re: [Exim] how to check remote recipient
>>>- why not just dump the
>>>addresses via cron every X hours/minutes/whatever?
>>
>>Like the following postfix examples?:
>>
>>http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/mailrelay/
>>http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/postfix-exchange-users.html
>

> Similar, but I generate the files on the mailservers themselves (blech,
> VBS).

I have written a python script that fetches the email address list from
the Exchange 5.5 server via LDAP. It seems to work.

Of course, when the corporate guys migrate to Exchange 2003 the script
will probably break because Exchange 2003 apparently has a different
authentication method.

>>>I can see what you're going for - basically a flat-file acting as a
>>>cache for LDAP lookkups - but I think you'd still end up potentially
>>>hanging while waiting for Exchange to respond (which is what just using
>>>the flat-file avoids - the process that updates the file might hang, but
>>>the last known good file is still there).
>>
>>I wonder if there any way to cause the ldap style router to timeout
>>fairly quickly?
>>

> Looks it -
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_9.html#SECT9.14
>
> - CONNECT set a connection timeout
> - TIME set the maximum waiting time for a query

Thanks. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but the timeout took
much longer than connect=15 and time=15 I had set in the ldap lookup.
Anyway, I'll do some more RTFM-try-RTFM cycles and see if I can get it
right.

> Let me know if you'd like the scripts I've got - credit where credit is
> due: mine setup is just a hacked up version of work done by Patrick
> Starrenburg (who was kind enough to send me doc on his setup).

Thanks, that would be great. I don't know all that much about VBS and
I'm quite sure the exchange admin does not want me touching the exchange
box, however, when they migrate from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 the
Python script I mentioned above may cease to be useful :-(

If you would like to take a look at the Python script just let me know.
I'll also try find a webserver I can put it on.

Cheers,
Ryan