Re: [Exim] many different domains to many different users - …

Author: Kevin Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] many different domains to many different users - how?
John said:
> Hello list
>
> a n00b question, I am sorry to say, but I am very confused here :(
>
> I have to put many domains onto one machine. Let's call the machine
> server.manydomains.net. This machine has several users who need to be
> emailname@???.
>
> There are also logins for the various other users who each have their own
> domain. They want to receive all mail for their domain, like
> *@theirdomain.com to their mailbox.

This is not recommended unless they like to get a lot of spam.
You should only accept email for specific users that exist and deny any
others. Catchall accounts will do just that... catchall the junk.

> These users just have pop3 logins
> and ftp logins, and not a true interactive shell.
>
> I need to find out firstly how I can configure Exim (4.14) to route to
> these mailboxes (Exim already accepts mail for these domains because
> they are either primary or secondary MX to the server), and secondly,
> how to make sure that if the email name part of the name is the same in
> the above two examples, that one doesn't go into the others mailbox.

I would suggest that you upgrade first... It may be hard to figure out
works with what with a version of Exim that old. Then if you run into a
problem, you will have a better time getting a solution. I never used
4.14 so I have no idea what it can or can't do.

> I have tried, according to the FAQ, the following:

[snip]

Exim is cool in that there can be many different answers for the same
question. You can go totally off the deep end with SQL databases and all
kinds of add ons or you can get as simple as simple text files.

One method that I've used on a number of servers now is a simple flat text
file method where each domain has its own basic aliases file.

I have a description of it here, though it is a bit sparse on info:
http://exim.got-there.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=412

This allows you to create a single router for all the domains and doesn't
require you to use a database engine to run your mail system.

if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

> but when I spoof a mail to from the server to user@???, it
> doesn't appear in their mail. I get an error in the mainlog saying
> 'unroutable address user@???'. Can anyone help?

Really need to see more of what you have configured to have a clue as to
what is going on. Unroutable basicically means you have an address the
system doesn't know what to do with.

I'm sure you will get more replies... This is a pretty helpful group.

--
Kevin W. Reed - TNET Services, Inc.
Unoffical Exim MTA Info Forums - http://exim.got-there.com/forums