Re: [Exim] many different domains to many different users - …

Author: John
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] many different domains to many different users - how?
Hello, thanks for replying

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 01:57:17AM -0700, Kevin Reed wrote:
> John said:
> > Hello list
> >
> > a n00b question, I am sorry to say, but I am very confused here :(
> >
> > I have to put many domains onto one machine. Let's call the machine
> > server.manydomains.net. This machine has several users who need to be
> > emailname@???.
> >
> > There are also logins for the various other users who each have their own
> > domain. They want to receive all mail for their domain, like
> > *@theirdomain.com to their mailbox.
>
> This is not recommended unless they like to get a lot of spam.
> You should only accept email for specific users that exist and deny any
> others. Catchall accounts will do just that... catchall the junk.

I'd agree - but the customers want *@domainname so I have to deliver it.
With regards to spam, I have spamassassin running on the server with a
permissive set of rules. If the users want tighter control, then I can
either make them a user-specific config file or get some php script to
do it (but that comes later).

> > These users just have pop3 logins
> > and ftp logins, and not a true interactive shell.
> >
> > I need to find out firstly how I can configure Exim (4.14) to route to
> > these mailboxes (Exim already accepts mail for these domains because
> > they are either primary or secondary MX to the server), and secondly,
> > how to make sure that if the email name part of the name is the same in
> > the above two examples, that one doesn't go into the others mailbox.
>
> I would suggest that you upgrade first... It may be hard to figure out
> works with what with a version of Exim that old. Then if you run into a
> problem, you will have a better time getting a solution. I never used
> 4.14 so I have no idea what it can or can't do.

My bad - typo - it is version 4.24, sorry

> > I have tried, according to the FAQ, the following:
> [snip]
>
> Exim is cool in that there can be many different answers for the same
> question. You can go totally off the deep end with SQL databases and all
> kinds of add ons or you can get as simple as simple text files.

uiltimately there will be several hundred domains on the server. I think
maybe MySQL with a php frontend is the way to go.

> One method that I've used on a number of servers now is a simple flat text
> file method where each domain has its own basic aliases file.
>
> I have a description of it here, though it is a bit sparse on info:
> http://exim.got-there.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=412

thanks for the link, I will have a look at it later today.

> This allows you to create a single router for all the domains and doesn't
> require you to use a database engine to run your mail system.
>
> if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

Thank you!

> > but when I spoof a mail to from the server to user@???, it
> > doesn't appear in their mail. I get an error in the mainlog saying
> > 'unroutable address user@???'. Can anyone help?
>
> Really need to see more of what you have configured to have a clue as to
> what is going on. Unroutable basicically means you have an address the
> system doesn't know what to do with.

the email name part or the domain name part? Is it OK to post my
configure file here?

--
John - jfm@??? - http://www.reiteration.net/~jfm
For PGP public key finger jfm@??? or see webpage