Re: [Exim] SPF

Author: Mark Foster
To: Ron McKeating
CC: EximUser List
Subject: Re: [Exim] SPF
--
On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 05:08:33PM +0000, Ron McKeating wrote:
> Any thoughts about the SPF stuff that AOL are pushing. See
> http://spf.pobox.com/
>
> There is a patch for exim available from
> http://spf.pobox.com/exim4.spf.acl-2.03.txt
>
> Has anybody used this. It sounds like an awfully good idea, but I would
> like to know how widely it is likely to be accepted.
> Ron

Yes been using it (the ACL) and SPF for a couple of months now. No big surprises
but it is working just fine. Needs some critical mass to have much bite.

It needs spfd to work, and getting that to work is no easier than installing
the ACL. With regard to exim, the spfd program needs to open a socket that is
readable by the exim user. See http://www.credentia.cc/exim/ slides 18 & 19
for more details.

Also, even without SPF ACLs installed, people can now (easily) add SPF TXT
records to their zones to help bolster the effort. The wizard at
http://spf.pobox.com/wizard.html is really slick for this.
--
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Mark Foster <mark@???> http://mark.foster.cc/