Re: [Exim] Installation questions on FreeBSD

Author: Jez Hancock
To: Enoch Chan
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Installation questions on FreeBSD
On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 07:25:33PM +0000, Enoch Chan wrote:
> This is my first post. I just installed Exim 4.30 on my FreeBSD box using
> the port. When I read the documentation, I found that I need to install
> Berkeley DB and add user exim PRIOR to make install. Does make install in
> FreeBSD automatically create the exim user for me? Can I add it after the
> installation? Also, I read somewhere that Berkeley (an older version)
> should come with FreeBSD. Is it true that I don't need to install the
> latest version to get it to work with Exim? Or can I install it after my
> Exim installation? As you can tell, I am a newbie in this field. Please
> advise.

FWIW there's a detailed guide to installing and configuring Exim on
FreeBSD here:

http://jez.hancock-family.com/index.php?/archives/67_Installing_And_Configuring_Exim_On_FreeBSD.html

the emphasis of the guide is moving from Sendmail to Exim and
configuring Exim for Authenticated SMTP (ASMTP), although there are notes in the
guide regarding what you can safely ignore if you don't wish to do
ASMTP.

Good luck.

--
Jez Hancock