Re: [Exim] Installation questions on FreeBSD

Author: Christian Schmidt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Installation questions on FreeBSD
Hello Enoch,

Enoch Chan, 26.01.2004 (d.m.y):

> This is my first post.

Congratulation. ;-)

> I just installed Exim 4.30 on my FreeBSD box using
> the port. When I read the documentation, I found that I need to install
> Berkeley DB and add user exim PRIOR to make install. Does make install in
> FreeBSD automatically create the exim user for me?

Yes, when installing from /usr/ports/andsoon, "make install" will
"automatically" fetch, build and install the other "dependencies".

> Can I add it after the installation?

Well, I think so, but IMO it isn't necessary: Just have a look at the
configuration file located in /usr/local/etc/exim for a hint which
user and group id exim will run under.

> Also, I read somewhere that Berkeley (an older version)
> should come with FreeBSD. Is it true that I don't need to install the
> latest version to get it to work with Exim?

As I mentioned before: When installing from the FreeBSD Ports Tree,
you won't have to bother about installing additional "dependencies" as
it is done automatically...

Regards & hth,
Christian
--
Geht die Baeurin in die Breite, sucht der Bauer schnell das Weite.