Re: [Exim] w/ 4.30 <= sendmail: protocol violation...

Author: Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
To: Andrew - Supernews
CC: EXIM users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] w/ 4.30 <= sendmail: protocol violation...
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> Hugh> I am getting entries in my reject log like this:
> Hugh> 2004-01-19 00:29:30 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error
> Hugh> (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from
> Hugh> H=that.would.be.telling.example.com [***.***.***.***]
>
> "input sent without waiting for greeting" can be caused by a too-short
> timeout on the remote end, especially if that's running sendmail; this
> happens if the remote sends QUIT after timing out rather than just
> aborting the connection. (exim sees the QUIT when input wasn't expected,
> and reports the sync error)

Thank you. For anyone searching the archives, the appropriate
sendmail option seems to be confTO_INITIAL to control the timeout
when waiting for the initial greeting.

> (You may also get this error quite a lot from spammers using POST
> proxies or broken spamware, especially if you have delays in a connect
> ACL.)

Thank you. This machine is legitimate, in this case.

> The timeout for the sending end waiting for the banner is required,
> per RFC1123 and RFC2821, to be at least 300 seconds. (I've seen sites,

In section 5.3.2 for RFC1123
In section 4.5.3.2 for RFC2821
Thank you. (BTW, I could not find any ref to this in RFC821, to
save anyone looking. That's probably why it is in 1123.)