Re: [Exim] w/ 4.30 <= sendmail: protocol violation...

Author: Andrew - Supernews
To: EXIM users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] w/ 4.30 <= sendmail: protocol violation...
>>>>> "Hugh" == Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs@???> writes:

Hugh> I am getting entries in my reject log like this:
Hugh> 2004-01-19 00:29:30 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error
Hugh> (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from
Hugh> H=that.would.be.telling.example.com [***.***.***.***]

"input sent without waiting for greeting" can be caused by a too-short
timeout on the remote end, especially if that's running sendmail; this
happens if the remote sends QUIT after timing out rather than just
aborting the connection. (exim sees the QUIT when input wasn't expected,
and reports the sync error)

(You may also get this error quite a lot from spammers using POST
proxies or broken spamware, especially if you have delays in a connect
ACL.)

The timeout for the sending end waiting for the banner is required,
per RFC1123 and RFC2821, to be at least 300 seconds. (I've seen sites,
such as wvu.edu, configure this as low as 10 seconds, which is rather
silly.)

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com