[Exim] w/ 4.30 <= sendmail: protocol violation...

Author: Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
To: EXIM users list
Subject: [Exim] w/ 4.30 <= sendmail: protocol violation...
I am getting entries in my reject log like this:

2004-01-19 00:29:30 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error
(input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from
H=that.would.be.telling.example.com [***.***.***.***]

This is after a move from Exim 3 to exim 4.30. The remote system is
running the latest sendmail. When I contact the admin about this,
what should I suggest as a change?

I know that is really a sendmail question, but presumably other
sites interact with sendmail sites, so someone may be able tell me
what to suggest. I think I may get a better reception if I can
suggest what to look at than if I say "stop what causes this error"
:-). Also, I'm not sure how best to phrase the question on a
sendmail list, other than as above, which feels less than tactful
for a sendmail list.

I presume that this "out of the box" default is the right thing to
do -- for all the reasons relating to spam injection -- so turning the
warning off somehow is not really a fix.

        Thank you,
        Hugh