Re: [Exim] verify = sender/callout

Author: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] verify = sender/callout
Phil Chambers wrote:

> I am currently using verify = sender without the /callout option because the
> manual
> says "it can add a lot of resource usage to the cost of verifying an
> address".

> I am looking to see if most people have the callout switched on as it seems
> to me
> that it would screen out a significant proportion of spam, saving the cost
> of
> scanning.

i used sender callouts for a while. i discontinued them for various reasons,
and after discontinuing it, discovered that there had been a low but
noticeable false positive rate. that, combined with the other reasons not to
run it, have made me decide that i won't turn it back on.

when i turned off the callouts, i installed forgery detection stuff at the
suggestions of others on this list (protecting against forgeries from sites
like yahoo, etc.) have sort of done ok in their place, although reverse
DNS for msn/hotmail was bad enough that i had to exclude it from the
forgery tests.

as always, your mileage may vary,
  richard
--