RE: [Exim] verify = sender/callout

Author: Eli
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] verify = sender/callout
I personally don't use any callouts for verifying recipient or sender since
the mail servers that I have handle huge amounts of users and email. Having
to do callouts to servers would drastically hit performance, and here's why:

1) slow mail servers could tie up callout verification if I don't have a low
timeout specified (and then I may never properly verify the address if the
server is constantly delayed)
2) if you have lots of email traffic, and you get hit with a spam/virus
attack with faked senders, you could end up doing tons of callouts, only
costing you more cpu time to deal with that before you even get to the
spam/virus scans

I'd say that if you have a low volume server, you could certainly try it
out. Specify a short callout period like 10s or something so you don't have
your server sitting around forever. You could even try without a callout
for a week, see what performance is like, then enable it and see what
difference it makes.

Personally the default check of testing the domain for an mx record is
enough for me - if there's at least a domain by that name that can accept
email, at least it should be possible to contact *someone* about problems.

Plus, sender verification must be done at RCPT or MAIL time, which is before
exiscan can do a spam/virus check, which means I must make Exim work as fast
as possible up until I can deny someone who is spamming (since I don't know
if they're a spammer at RCPT or MAIL time).

Hope that helps you with your final decision :)

Eli.