Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received

Author: Sander Smeenk
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received
Quoting Toralf Lund (toralf@???):
> Now, this seems to cause problems with some blacklists etc. on the net;
> apparently they think "localhost" is evil.
> Questions:
> 1. Why?

'localhost' can't be traced back if the message received is classified
as spam. I guess that's the only reason to think of localhost as evil.

> 2. Is there a good way to avoid including this localhost reference?

Can you have your mailer connect to $your_internet_ip instead of
127.0.0.1 or localhost? That might make a difference.

> I guess updatingreceived_header_text is a possible solution, but has
> anyone done it?

Hmm. I'd look for a different solution and hold this as a last resort.

> 3. Should I configure the mailers differently?

Try that what I described above. You could also try and change your
/etc/hosts, and have it say:

127.0.0.1    localhost        localhost.$yourrealdomain

That way, the receiving host can trace back localhost.$yourrealdomain,
and it would be less evil.

HTH,
Sander.