[Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received

Author: Toralf Lund
Subject: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received
We usually configure our MUAs to send e-mail via SMTP to localhost,
where Exim is running. This results in a header of the form:

    by myhost.mydomain with esmtp (Exim 3.33 #1)
    id 1AdWvu-0005ks-00
    for user@domain; Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:46:22 +0100

Now, this seems to cause problems with some blacklists etc. on the net;
apparently they think "localhost" is evil.

Questions:

   1. Why?
   2. Is there a good way to avoid including this localhost reference? I
      guess updatingreceived_header_text is a possible solution, but has
      anyone done it?
      <http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec_toc.html#TOC322>
   3. Should I configure the mailers differently? Note that the ones we
      are using typically don't allow mail to be sent via local (MTA
      exec), and I'd rather not hardcode a hostname as I want the config
      to be completely portable. (With the current setup it is e.g.
      possible to move a host from the office LAN to a direct internet
      connection, and send e-mail without reconfiguring anything - and
      that's without transferring via the office when connected elsewhere.)

All this with Exim 3.34. (Yeah, I know I should upgrade, I'm just not
sure how to find the time to do the job...)

--
Toralf