Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received

Author: Toralf Lund
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received
Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Toralf Lund [1/6/2004 3:28 PM] :

>>     by myhost.mydomain with esmtp (Exim 3.33 #1)
>>     id 1AdWvu-0005ks-00
>>     for user@domain; Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:46:22 +0100

>> Now, this seems to cause problems with some blacklists etc. on the net;
>> apparently they think "localhost" is evil.
>

> ?!? Which one? Not blocklists most likely - some misguided copy and
> paste spamfilter recipe, more like.

I've had messages stopped by the RBL check because bl.spamcop.net would
return data for localhost (but the warning URL was not valid.) That
might have been a temporary error as I was using the list for long time
without getting this problem.

I also know that some of my colleagues have occasionally had mails
bounced as spam due to the localhost entry, but I haven't got any
details about the receivers or actual checks.

>> 1. Why?
>

> Stupidity

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

- Toralf