Re: [Exim] How to break down CC's and process one at a time …

Author: Pat Lashley
To: Andrew Nelson, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How to break down CC's and process one at a time ?
--On Friday, December 19, 2003 13:07:40 +1100 Andrew Nelson <andrew__nelson@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to configure exim to process all recipients of a message
> (including CC and BCC addresses) seperately ?
>
> I'm using a system filter on a mail gateway machine that has a bug where it
> doesn't filter messages that are addressed to invalid accounts (but still
> have valid CC's) and in a few other weird CC related situations...
>
> I think the problem arises whenever a destination MTA issues some
> error message (in regards to badly formed or invalid addresses). The vendor
> doesn't want to fix it and I don't have any source.

For messages coming in via SMTP, Exim doesn't use the addresses in the
headers; it uses the addresses in the envelope. (I.e., Those provided
via the MAIL and RCPT SMTP commands.)

When invoked locally, Exim normally recieves the recipient addresses
from the command line.

The only time Exim would use the addresses in the headers is if it
is invoked locally with the '-t' option.

For more on how Exim handles messages, see Chapter 3 of the Exim docs.

If you'll give us more info about the sequence of events that you
believe leads to the problem; and an example of both the headers
and the relevant log messages; we may be able to help you resove it.
(We may also need to see parts of your Exim config file or the system
filter; but I can't say for sure without the other details.)

-Pat