Re: [Exim] Temporarily rejected RCPT with no apparent reason

Author: Pat Lashley
To: Marilyn Davis, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Temporarily rejected RCPT with no apparent reason
--On Thursday, December 18, 2003 19:11:30 -0800 Marilyn Davis <marilyn@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, and before, I wrote about this problem. People's
> best idea was to set up my dns, instead of using the pacbell dns
> server upstream.
>
> I didn't do that. But I've had no more troubles.
>
> The only thing that changed when the trouble started was that I
> started running X and accessing the www from the mail-serving machine.
> I quit running X on this machine and have had no more trouble -- for
> almost a month now.
>
> Coincidence?
>
> I know it doesn't make any sense but I thought I should report it
> anyway, in case it helps someone else one day.

That does sound like it could be a timeout problem. X11 and X11
applications can get pretty big and cause paging that wouldn't
otherwise occur. Some of the apps can also cause significant
amounts of network overhead. (Usually not enough to notice on
an Ethernet LAN; but more visible on anything much slower than
a 10Mb link.)

Even without that though; you might want to install the dnscache
from djbdns, or some similar setup. Configure it so that it only
responds to queries from your machine(s); and tell it where to
find the authoritative server(s) for your own domain. Since it
is caching only, there's little configuration required; but it
can eliminate some problems related to DNS resolution delay with
a remote DNS server.

This is, of course, less effective with Exim; since Exim does
its own caching. But dnscache is pretty lightweight, and I think
it is worth using on any server.

-Pat