Re: [Exim] Domain literals: weighing up the arguments

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Domain literals: weighing up the arguments
--
* Tom Kistner <tom@???> [20031205 13:40]: wrote:
> Tim Jackson wrote:
>
> >2. If I am correct, given that the IP literal format (even if uncommon and
> >rarely used) is useful at least for the purposes of contacting postmasters
> >and required by RFCs, would it not be better to enable it by default?
>
> My answer would be "yes". Some automated RBL removal procedures require
> you to receive mail for postmaster@[BLOCKED_IP]. Also, it is required
> for RFC compliance and it should do no harm.
>
> >Perhaps it could be accompanied by a default RCPT ACL rule following the
> >"accept postmaster unconditionally" one, something like this:
>
> I have this is RCPT ACL:
>
> # Always accept mail to postmaster, for
> # both our domains and the systems IP literals.
> accept  local_parts   = postmaster
>         domains       = +relay_to_domains : +domain_literals

> And a router:
>
> # route postmaster@[IPLITERAL] to postmaster
> postmaster_ipliteral:
>    driver = redirect
>    data = postmaster
>    local_parts = postmaster
>    domains = +domain_literals

> /tom

I believe it is right to do whetever we want to do with Exim as long
as we do not try to persuade the good ol' doc to change Exim, since
it's already flexible enough.
I've tried following this discussion and found it more "political"
than anything else. Tim just wanted a simple change to the default
configure file in the distro, but now the direction the discussion
has taken has tilted towards the RFCs and everything else. I am
taking it upon myself to be judge here (because it requires the
expertise of a layman to make the judgement in theis fight of
elephants) and I declare that:

1. Philip has won the case with costs. We all owe him for Exim.
2. Tim, Tom, Greg and the rest of us have also won the case w/costs.

The cost to us is affordable - leave Philip alone and do whetever
you want with your configure file. He's made it possible for us.

Have a good weekend!

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post
--
[ Content of type application/x-pkcs7-signature deleted ]