Re: [Exim] Domain literals: weighing up the arguments

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Tim Jackson
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Domain literals: weighing up the arguments
Tim Jackson wrote:

> 2. If I am correct, given that the IP literal format (even if uncommon and
> rarely used) is useful at least for the purposes of contacting postmasters
> and required by RFCs, would it not be better to enable it by default?

My answer would be "yes". Some automated RBL removal procedures require
you to receive mail for postmaster@[BLOCKED_IP]. Also, it is required
for RFC compliance and it should do no harm.

> Perhaps it could be accompanied by a default RCPT ACL rule following the
> "accept postmaster unconditionally" one, something like this:

I have this is RCPT ACL:

# Always accept mail to postmaster, for
# both our domains and the systems IP literals.
accept  local_parts   = postmaster
         domains       = +relay_to_domains : +domain_literals

And a router:

# route postmaster@[IPLITERAL] to postmaster
postmaster_ipliteral:
    driver = redirect