Re: [Exim] 4.30 makefile problems with OSX

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: exim-users, Bradford Carpenter
Subject: Re: [Exim] 4.30 makefile problems with OSX
At 10:13 am +0000 2003/12/05, Philip Hazel wrote:
>On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Bradford Carpenter wrote:
>
>> I've compiled every version of exim from 4.12 through 4.24 just fine on
>> my OSX setup (currently I'm running 10.2.8) using darwinports; I've
>> simply changed the version numbers (exim/exiscan) and checksums in the
>> port file, and darwinports builds and installs exim without a hitch.
>> However, 4.30 installation fails when reading the makefile, saying
>> "couldn't find file for -lresolv" or some such. This is apparently
>> related to this item from the 4.30 changelog:
>>
>>  16. Added CHOWN_COMMAND=/usr/sbin/chown and LIBS=-lresolv to the
>>       OS/Makefile-Darwin file.

>This is because somebody told me that these changes were necessary to
>get Exim to compile on OSX. I have no access to any OSX systems, and so
>I cannot test these kinds of change.
>
>You could try undefining LIBS, i.e. putting
>
>LIBS=
>
>in your Local/Makefile.

oh, that somebody was me... and Bradford should have just read my posts...

I think this is a difference between 10.2 and 10.3, but it might not
be needed in the released version of 10.3. It should not hurt in 10.3
though as libresolv (the dynamic version) is there.

BTW, Bradford, what is the point/advantage of using darwinports for
building exim?

Giuliano