Re: [Exim] 4.30 makefile problems with OSX

Author: Bradford Carpenter
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 4.30 makefile problems with OSX
On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 02:36 AM, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> At 10:13 am +0000 2003/12/05, Philip Hazel wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Bradford Carpenter wrote:
>>
>>> I've compiled every version of exim from 4.12 through 4.24 just
>>> fine on
>>> my OSX setup (currently I'm running 10.2.8) using darwinports; I've
>>> simply changed the version numbers (exim/exiscan) and checksums in
>>> the
>>> port file, and darwinports builds and installs exim without a hitch.
>>> However, 4.30 installation fails when reading the makefile, saying
>>> "couldn't find file for -lresolv" or some such. This is apparently
>>> related to this item from the 4.30 changelog:
>>>
>>>  16. Added CHOWN_COMMAND=/usr/sbin/chown and LIBS=-lresolv to the
>>>       OS/Makefile-Darwin file.

>> This is because somebody told me that these changes were necessary to
>> get Exim to compile on OSX. I have no access to any OSX systems, and
>> so
>> I cannot test these kinds of change.
>>
>> You could try undefining LIBS, i.e. putting
>>
>> LIBS=
>>
>> in your Local/Makefile.
>
> oh, that somebody was me... and Bradford should have just read my
> posts...
>
> I think this is a difference between 10.2 and 10.3, but it might not
> be needed in the released version of 10.3. It should not hurt in 10.3
> though as libresolv (the dynamic version) is there.
>
> BTW, Bradford, what is the point/advantage of using darwinports for
> building exim?
>
> Giuliano

Giuliano-

Sorry, never saw your posts. I've been on the exiscan list for a while,
but didn't think to get on the exim-users list until about five minutes
before I made my post. :P And my search for "lresolv" did not find the
thread.

libresolv is not on my system anywhere. I'm not familiar with the
function of this library, but previous versions of exim compiled
without this have always worked fine for me. I can just remove this
dependency as Philip suggested, but I'm curious why this was library
necessary for you in order to compile exim. I'll try to search for your

Darwinports is a package manager sort of like fink but much simpler. It
was written (in TCL) by one of the BSD programmers who came to Apple
(Jordan Hubbard) based on a previous application FreeBSDports. Ease of
use is one advantage. All it takes to download both exim and the
exiscan patch, configure the make options, and install everything in
the proper location is something like

sudo port install exim +smtp-auth +tls +exiscan +dsearch +passwd

in Terminal. Replace "install" with "uninstall" to remove everything.
Also like fink, darwinports consistently installs packages into a
separate hierarchy (/opt/local/), so the packages don't get clobbered
if you have to do a reinstall of OSX.

Brad