Re: [Exim] 4.30 makefile problems with OSX

Author: Bradford Carpenter
To: John Jetmore
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 4.30 makefile problems with OSX
On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 02:05 PM, John Jetmore wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Bradford Carpenter wrote:
>
>> I've compiled every version of exim from 4.12 through 4.24 just fine
>> on
>> my OSX setup (currently I'm running 10.2.8) using darwinports; I've
>> simply changed the version numbers (exim/exiscan) and checksums in the
>> port file, and darwinports builds and installs exim without a hitch.
>> However, 4.30 installation fails when reading the makefile, saying
>> "couldn't find file for -lresolv" or some such. This is apparently
>> related to this item from the 4.30 changelog:
>>
>> 16. Added CHOWN_COMMAND=/usr/sbin/chown and LIBS=-lresolv to the
>>      OS/Makefile-Darwin file.

>> Being relatively new to unix and compiling, I really have no idea what
>> it is not finding. Can anyone who is familiar with Darwin and OSX tell
>> me what I need to change to allow the compiler to find whatever file
>> it's looking for?
>
> No idea how to make it compile from darwinports, but I finally got
> around
> to compiling it this morning (my machine is stil 10.2.8 also). I had
> make the following changes to get it built:
>
> OS/os.h-Darwin:
> + #define socklen_t int
>
> OS/Makefile-Darwin:
> - LIBS=-lresolv
> + LIBS=
>
> Been running for a while w/ no problems.
>
> Philip, FWIW the changes you made are for OSX 10.3. They seem to have
> broken out-of-the-box building for older versions. Not saying it
> needs to
> change back or anything, just letting you know why there were problems.
>
> --John

Actually you know exactly how to make it compile from darwinports! Made
your changes and the build went fine this time.

Darwinports is just a way to automate the downloading and compiling
process intelligently (auto-install any other libraries, commands, etc
on which the build depends). Under the hood it's basically just the
configure/make/install process being controlled by a script.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully someone will be nice and give me
Panther for Christmas so I don't have to worry about this next update!

Brad