Re: [Exim] I )(*#$ hate aol

Author: Chris Meadors
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] I )(*#$ hate aol
On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 10:39, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> AOL seems to have one of our web services, probably a tunnel from the
> webserver to the office, listed as a proxy.

It may not be Exim that is relaying messages. Spammers are now using
"web proxies" that will proxy plain text to any port (not just "web"
port). They just connect to the proxy and tell it to connect to
xx.xx.xx.xx:25 and then send SMTP rather than HTTP commands.

Even Apache's proxy module can be an open proxy (and may be by default
in some configs).

If you need to be running a proxy, make sure it only proxies for trusted
IPs, or is authenticated, or blocks proxy attempts to port 25 (or all of
the above).

--
Chris