Re: [Exim] I )(*#$ hate aol

Author: Chris Blake
To: Pat Lashley
CC: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Exim] I )(*#$ hate aol
On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 04:54, Pat Lashley wrote:
> --On Thursday, December 04, 2003 19:07:38 -0700 Kevin Reed <listaccount@???> wrote:
>
> > Jonathan Vanasco said:
> >>
> >> AOL has somehow got my office's ip listed as an open relay/open proxy
> >> or something. Odd, because its most certainly not.
> >
> > Hard to express an opinion since you provided no info to check. Many
> > people have an open relay and don't realize it as there are several
> > different ways this can happen, not all of them are known by all.
>
> Absolutely true. One good check is to log into the mail server and
> then telnet to open-relay.mail-abuse.org. It will try various open
> relay tests to the machine you are telnetting from; and log the
> results back to your telnet session; then close the session.

Good day,

I have a similar problem with AOL, and when I try to telnet to the
open-relay.mail-abuse.org I get 'unknown host'

I did receive mail from AOL after I raised the query with them as to how
and why, and they replied :

[snip]

America Online has a process that goes through our database of open
proxies and tests them every 24 hours. If we find that our attempts to
use your open ports are unsuccessful, we will change the status of your
server from open to closed. We will then remove your IP from our block
list and push the changes into production. These processes are
automated, and "unblocks" generally occur in about 24 hours.

If you believe your organization's e-mail provider can adhere to AOL
guidelines provided at this site:
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/index.html, please ask your e-mail
provider to call our Postmaster Hotline at 703-265-4670 or
1-888-212-5537 and the Postmaster group will evaluate your mailing
patterns and resolve any outstanding issues with your server or domain.

If you would like to test your e-mail server against our database, enter
the IP address on the site below:

http://postmaster.info.aol.com/opse.html

[/snip]

However, the link above didn`t work when I tried it.....

--
Chris Blake
Technical Support Consultant

All syllogisms have three parts, therefore this is not a syllogism.