Re: [Exim] I )(*#$ hate aol

Author: Kevin Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] I )(*#$ hate aol
Jonathan Vanasco said:

> AOL has somehow got my office's ip listed as an open relay/open proxy
> or something. Odd, because its most certainly not.

Hard to express an opinion since you provided no info to check. Many
people have an open relay and don't realize it as there are several
different ways this can happen, not all of them are known by all.

> Anyways, they've got our ip in their db, and send will only send
> informative mail to root@ip postmaster@ip

I have never seen them do that before. If they think you are an open
relay, I'm surprised they will talk at you at all in or out.

In anycase, sending mail the way you say they are in not valid I don't
think. It should be like postmaster@[xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] (with the []'s
around the IP) not postmaster@???

Assuming it is really using the [ip] instead, this is called a domain
literal and Exim by default (in the default config) has that turned off
with the setting...

allow_domain_literals = false

I've never used Exim with it set to True, but I think that if you do, you
won't need to to use the rewrite rules since it will use the
qualify_domain to stick on the end of any address it tries with the domain
literal.

It I think also accepts the IP's you are currently listening on so you
don't have setup the IP either, it takes it from what you are using.

Again, I've never tried it...

--
Kevin W. Reed - TNET Services, Inc.
Unoffical Exim MTA Info Forums - http://exim.got-there.com/forums